03 May 2009

Romeo and Juliet


Wallace, Wallace, Wherefore art thou Wallace? wrote William* whilst watching wilfully. Actually, I wrote that while listening to Twelfth Night. But it was an adaptation of Romeo and Juliet performed at Shakespeare's Globe, which I attended on Saturday. It was very authentic and very well done (at least from an easily amused, left-brained, non-theatre affionado's point of view, who is also American). If you have never been to the Globe Theatre, and you take pleasure in standing in the sun for extended periods of time, and you like cool paper hats, then the Globe is for you. And you. And you. The Globe Theatre is a circular stadium-style theatre with a courtyard for standees and seats for seat-ees. We were standees, or 'groundlings,' at this occassion. As my first Shakespeare play seen in production, I was deeply amazed and impressed. By deep, I mean I was about 20 people deep-away from the stage behind the guy with tight jeans and a handlebar moustache. I only got to see the moustache once, when he turned around to ask my why I was throwing shortbread at him (answer: I wanted him to turn around so that I could see his facial artwork). There was good audience/actor interaction, such as Juliet's egress upon faux death. Six pallbearers took her off the stage and through the audience. It was the first time I almost got run over by a dead woman. Well, this wasn't much of a comprehensive review of the production, but I thought it was pretty dang good. Don't forget, this was only the first of my productions. I should be a pro by the twelfth...
*William Shakespeare

6 comments:

little miss erika said...

First of all:

I'm jealous!

Secondly:

I'm impressed. You stood through the whole play? That does not sound fun to me. But then again, I don't mind standing for concerts. Maybe it feels similiar. I am also impressed you threw shortbread at Mr.Mustache. =)

Can't wait to hear about more of your adventures!

fuck you blogger said...

You would throw bread at people... I'm excited to play this week (if it ever happens for once!)

Jessica said...

Wallace. I'm kind of disappointed I didn't get to see the mustache man. Next time something that exciting happens, let me know.
And P.S. Thanks for commenting on my blog. It made me feel really good about myself.

Anonymous said...

Osito, you are absolutely hysterical. Enjoy your trip. I look forward to seeing you when you get back!
-Starck

Unknown said...

maybe you should be in one by the time you leave...

Bethany said...

Look at you, little cultured thing! And when did the blog change to Wallace's? Ahem?