17 October 2010

A Rap Concert

Tuesday night I went to the much anticipated rap concert at Utah Valley University, featuring Auburn, Iyaz, B.o.B., and Jason Derulo. This was my first ever rap concert and I was feeling pretty legit until I ran into my friend who told me, "Oh yea, my 16 year old sister is going to that!" It's hard to be thuggish when you're surrounded by teenie boppers. Well, I decided not to be deterred and instead put on my bandanna and hat, an icy necklace, a blinging Rocawear belt buckle, baggy jeans, and my basketball shoes. To top it all off I put on my ghetto fab sweatshirt purchased at GenX that is size XXL.
I felt that B.o.B. did the best set. He had a drummer, a bassist, a guitarist, a keyboardists, two back-up singers, and two back-up dancers. He put on a pretty rocking show and I was pleased with all his music (including a sweet MGMT cover song of Kids). At one point he saw some glow-in-the-dark glasses being worn by five people in the dark audience so he called them up on stage. I think he regretted it soon thereafter when they got a little closer and he saw that they were little 14 year olds being chaperoned by their mother... Woops...
I was not impressed with Jason Derulo, but that's probably because I'm a guy. That man is really a lady swooner. He kept lifting up his shirt so we could all get a sneak peak at his abs, and then halfway through his set he just ripped the whole dang shirt off. The girl behind me started crying (no joke). It was slightly reminiscent of the Backstreet Boys concert I went to last month. I mean....
This was my first ever rap/chessy-love-songs concert and I must admit I felt my senses were being lambasted the whole show. The music was so loud it made the ice around my neck vibrate. So many waving hands surrounded mine that I wasn't sure which ones belonged to me. There was so much singing going on that my throat got sore even though I wasn't singing. The whole experience was sort of an out-of-body experience and not in a good way. I did not feel myself because myself was so distracted by everything going on around me. I received a much better perspective on why people do things out of the ordinary in different settings. It was actually kind of scary in a twisted sort of way. I'm thinking that maybe next time I'll stick with a Utah Symphony Orchestra concert.

1 comment:

Becky said...

this is a secret dream of mine, but if it was too much for David B, then maybe i shan't. you rock.