24 July 2008

SPAM JAM!


SPAM Jam! Do those words strick terror in your heart? Do they make you think of processed meat loaf? Do you think of ham with a mystery "S" ingredient? If so, you are a mainlander. If they invoke feelings of deliciousness and gustatory pleasures, you must be from Hawai'i. For some strange reason the Islanders love SPAM-even McDonald's includes SPAM in many of their meals, including "SPAM and eggs" on the breakfast menu. Because of its popularity, it only seemed appropriate that we throw my brother a surprise SPAM Jam birthday party to ring in the 19th anniversary of his birthdate. The surprise worked incredibly well (he had no idea, and everyone he knew was there hiding when he walked in) and the food was, dare I even say it, spectacular. We had SPAM and rice with pineapple, a SPAM and pineapple bake with an apricot & mustard glaze, and coconut SPAM fritters. The greatest compliment of the night came from a native Hawai'ian who said, "Man, I love SPAM and I have never had these recipes before! This is great!" For dessert we had my brother's favorite, brownies, brownies and more brownies. Let me just say, SPAM is not that bad. Sure it looks nasty, smells putrid and rolls out of the can like coagulated turkey gravy, but it doesn't tast all that bad. Especially with pineapple. Maybe these Hawai'ians are onto something here...

3 comments:

Jen R. said...

I just barfed a little... :)

Anonymous said...

Yay for Spam! I'm so glad you've come to accept its deliciousness. Spam and rice was an absolute staple of my childhood. And it sounds like the party turned out great.

T-Benz said...

It was absolutely SPAMtastic! Thanks Bro!