19 May 2010

Lockdown in Thailand

How to pass the time when your in lockdown during a civil war... Let's see here... I could count the teats on the cows in my backyard since I can see them from my window; I could name the creatures living in my bathroom (actually I already have- Milli the millipede, Carl the cockroach, and Gary the gecko); I could locate my passport under mounds of melted chocolate and Thai coins- in case of imminent departure; I could pick up a new sport that can be played indoors, such as lampspeed, a fast-paced game that combines intellect, speed, water, electricity, and a little bit of luck; or I could find the most uncomfortable position on my bed. Those are just the few things that have come to mind in the last fifteen minutes or so. Or I could pretend I am a high-profile news blogger in the throes of the action with pertinent information that must be disseminated. Thailand is a mess right now! Everyone is angry, except where I live in San Kampaeng! The only indication of a change I have is an increased police presence at the market (it went from 0 officers seen in 5 days to 2 officers seen in one day!) and a truck full of men that I speculated was headed to Chaing Mai for some action, but it was only speculation. I have been told to pack up my things, cease my internship until further notice, and be on the ready to evacuate at any moment. So now I sit, wait, read, and blog.

5 comments:

Megan said...

My brother had to be evacuated to Thailand while he was on his mission in Cambodia because of similar happenings. Scary stuff. Please stay safe!

siovhan said...

DAVID! That's so nerve wrecking! I hope you continue to be safe. That worries me--I write about the unrest there a lot, and I know it's getting worse day by day.

Kent Christensen said...

You certainly like being where the action is! I have been listening to the news and thinking of my ski buddy. You risk-taker, you! One month you're sailing down the slopes on your back at 50mph and the next you're in a sweltering war zone! Hopefully you will have more interesting adventures soon. Meanwhile, keep counting cow-teats (lol), naming cockroaches, etc. Jane and I went down to AZ last week to a wedding and thought of you as we passed through Flagstaff and northern AZ.

Unknown said...

pretend like you're a spy!
or fugitive!
but don't get shot.

Bethany said...

Wow that is crazyyy!!! You need a possible reaction of "terrified" on here.