24 December 2010

Merry Christmas 2010

Merry Christmas. Seeing as Mary ('Merry') was Christ's mother (Hispanic apparently, given the 'mas'), my holiday celebration around the Winter Solstice would be "Coleen Davidmehr", using my preferred language of German to add emphasis to the David portion. ('Mehr' is to German what 'mas' is to Spanish what 'more' is to English. Remember that for the SAT III- Languages. Coming 2015. I'm in the education field, I know these things. Don't believe a word I say.) This Christmas the Wall of Food alluded to last year is back, more plentiful and copious in fact.  It seems every minute the doorbell rings with someone delivering more goodies. Sometimes they drop off hoodies, but mostly it's just been goodies. Christmas even came a little early when the neighborhood kids all pitched in and bought us a horse. We aren't quite sure why, but we're grateful nonetheless. (Maybe it's because they saw me put my saddle on the saw horse as I tried to lasso the neighbor's yorkie poo?) The neighborhood chillun' rang the doorbell and turned on Leroy Anderson's 'Sleigh Ride' so that when we opened the door Oatsey was right there neighing at the appropriate time of the song (towards the end). It was all very well orchestrated and a nice change from the traditional caroling. Since we didn't really have anything else to do with Oatsey we set him up with some nice accommodations under the Christmas tree. He hasn't complained yet.
Back to the Wall of Food- One of my favorite Christmas traditions. On the Wall of Food there are five boxes of identical fudge. My Church made the dessert as a 'fudge'raiser (David original) and overestimated how much to make. I don't really have anything more to say about it; mostly I just wanted to introduce the aforementioned hilarious joke.
I am thankful for the birth of Jesus Christ at this season. I believe with all my heart that He was literally the Son of God and the Saviour or ALL mankind. I am thankful for His humility and hope that I can be more like him in word and in deed. I hope we are all a little kinder during this time of the year, and that it carries on throughout 2011. Merry Christmas!

No comments: