06 June 2009

Stratford-Upon-Avon




Stratford-Upon-Avon is the small hamlet in England where William Shakespeare was born, approximatley a billion years ago before they knew that it was possible to write words without apostrophes. Not only did we see his abode, but we also saw his mother's farm and fed her goats while she was on holiday, we saw his daughter's home and learned of his son-in-law's medicinal practices including penicillin and open heart surgery with a stick and some sap, we visited his granddaughter's house, and finally his wife's home. They all had short ceilings, were wastefully uninhabited, and within walking distance of each other. In addition to these glamorized wigwams we saw the River Avon, two Shakespeare productions by the Royal Shakespeare Company, Shakespeare's grave inside his church, some schoolchildren doing brass rubbings, and a hand-crank boat. My favorite thing about Stratford-Upon-Avon, however, was the Bed and Breakfast we stayed at. Yum yum yum yum yum (say it outloud with voice inflection, like the 'yums' are waves). Our full English breakfast included granola, fruit, orange juice, milk, toast, marmalade, eggs, mushrooms, tomatos, bacon, sasuage, a piece of parsley, a Hugh Grant appearance, a Shakespeare performance, and last but not least, an appeareance by her Majesty the Queen. They weren't messing around when they said it would be FULL English breakfast. My overall impression of Stratford-Upon-Avon was that for a quaint town, there wasn't much to do but celebrate the life of Shakespeare, and eat.

6 comments:

fuck you blogger said...

We get to go here next Wednesday, I am pretty much excited now that I know there is open heart surgery stuff involved! PS: Nice picture, whose glasses are those I wonder... :P

Lauren Palmer said...

When we went to St-U-Av I got a sweet tourist-trap-itty eraser. Like to erase pencil with. And it says: "out damned spot!" on it. Excellent Shakespeare eraser. I just can't bring myself to use it.

Jessica said...

Wallace, you look pretty dashing in those pictures. I'm not going to lie. And I kind of agree with you on Stratford--all we did was talk about Shakespeare and eat! And there's nothing wrong with that...

Carly Jo Porter said...

David! Not gonna lie, you are lookin pretty studly while traversing through London. Now let's just contrast that to how sweaty I am lookin in India! hah, hope you are doing well!!!

Jeff said...

Sounds like so much fun, Dave! Thanks for keeping us posted. It's really Emily even though I'm posing under Jeff's name. I don't know how to change these things.

Harry Harvey said...

This is an excellent blog post; I think there’s some excellent information here.

Just a small piece of advice, if your looking for accommodation in the Stratford upon avon area Take a look at this website, it lists 1000s of hotels and bed and breakfasts. I’ve used it lots of times and it always seems to deliver.