04 March 2012

Personal Hygiene Improvements

I know you have all been eagerly awaiting the news of my amour with a Sonicare. Rather than writing a harangue on the benefits of dental care, I shall be more disposed to just say, "I love it." The first time I used the toothbrush I felt like my face was going through a car wash. I was naif to how many swishes and bubbles this sibilant sounding Sonicare could make. The apotheosis came when I brushed the backside of my two front teeth; the surfeit amount of tenderness exposed to the whizzing brush was enough to make Cupid blush. I am now a few days into using the brush on a regular basis and I am extremely pleased. It causes me to brush for 2 straight minutes, tells me when 30 seconds is up so that I am reminded to switch mouth quadrants, and leaves me with a clean, 'Just from the Dentist' feeling.
Along with his bountiful benefits, there are some drawbacks. The toothbrush stands upright on its charger, which can get pretty hot if left alone for awhile. What I didn't realize is that if you accidentally leave a little bit of toothpaste on the charger it melts into the toothbrush and solidifies the charger to the brush in a sticky science experiment sort of way. It's not pretty to look at or to clean, but at least your toothbrush stays charged. Dental care has come a long way in the past decade. (This post is quickly becoming dedicated to Michelle Z.) First there were dental picks, which I use every night and love. No more wads of dental floss all over the bathroom floor; no more bloody fingers and bloody gums; no more hard to reach spots in the back of the mouth. With pickers I can access and beautify any chasm in my mouth with only one hand. And then comes the Sonicare. Enough has been limned by that in this post already. Mouthwash, too. Mouthwash has come a long way. It started as gurgling whiskey, grew to gurgling whiskey and water, and then culminated with Listerine. Every time I gargle I wonder if I am breaking the Word of Wisdom. Basically my mouth is as clean now as it ever was. If only the personal hygiene industry were as up to speed as the dental industry. I could really use some technological advancements in soap; pig lard is getting harder and harder to come by, and I'm sick of rubbing Chrysanthemums in my armpits every other day.


In other news, I played 'Sphinx' across a triple word score with the 'x' falling on a double letter tile yesterday, and still lost the Scrabble game. Senators and their wives make for difficult competition.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Your tooth brush charge lasts a long time. You should unplug it until you really need to charge it. I bet it'll last longer.

Nice blog post. I'm as proud of you as I am with my own patients.